6 Actionable Ways to Prioritize Yourself This Week


5 Actionable Steps to Prioritize Yourself This Week

I remember the early days of motherhood when I'd hear phrases like "You have to put yourself first," and I'd scoff, thinking it was an impossible task. The demands of being a mom alone were overwhelming and adding the responsibilities of a full-time job only made things more complex.

As a mom who's been through various seasons – from singlehood to marriage, and from full-time to part-time work – I've experienced firsthand what it means to sacrifice for others. But it wasn't until recently that I began to adopt a different approach to prioritizing myself. Balancing family dynamics, financial constraints, and daily responsibilities made it challenging, but I realized that self-care isn't always about material possessions or monetary outcomes.

Over time, I've had to redefine what putting myself first looks like. Today, I want to share tangible ways I've learned to prioritize myself, even amidst life's demands.

Many of us struggle to put self-care into practice because we lack tangible examples to draw from. By asking myself questions like "What do I want? What do I need?" I've discovered simple yet meaningful ways to prioritize myself:

1. Early morning solitude makes a difference.

Starting most days with a moment of solitude sets a positive tone for the day ahead. For me, that cup of coffee, some breakfast, or a little writing and reflection time with a side of bossa nova café instrumental music always hits the spot.

2. Grocery shopping tactics that include me. 

I've flipped the script by adding what I want to the shopping list before essentials. This shift has brought me more fulfillment, especially when trying new recipes or products I've had my eye on.

3. Monthly treats just for me. 

Even on a tight budget, I make it a point to buy something for myself each month, whether it's a new outfit or supplies for my creative hobbies or when feasible a quick trip out of town for a few days to relax and change my surroundings.

4. Creative time comes first!

In the past, I'd prioritize other remote work tasks, leaving me drained and behind on my creative goals. Now, prioritizing my creative pursuits boosts my productivity and satisfaction of life.

5. Laundry and chores center around me.

Prioritizing my own items during laundry and chores ensures they come first. Previously, I'd start with my children's things (particularly when they were younger), leading to dysfunction. Shifting focus immediately made me feel included. Starting with my belongings in chores makes me feel integral, while creating aesthetically pleasing surroundings fosters relaxation for refueling and creativity.

6. Embrace social connections.

Accepting social invitations was tough, especially after 2020. But I've changed. Using a vision board and seeking new connections, I've embraced a new reality. Attending events and nurturing friendships is key. "Find Your People" underscored the importance of connection in countering social media-induced loneliness.

These small acts of self-care have had a profound impact on my life:

  • Increased resilience during tough times and the ability to find creative solutions to challenges.
  • Reduced feelings of crankiness and resentment in daily routines.
  • Improved emotional resilience, allowing me to stay present and engaged in the moment.

Other blog posts you may like to explore:

Comments

Want more info, have questions or want to work with me? Just drop me a line below!

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts