Farewell to Winter: Capsule Wardrobe Tips for Effortless Style

 

Farewell to Winter: Capsule Wardrobe Tips for Effortless Style

3.10.24

As I prepare my wardrobe for Spring and Summer, I wanted to end the Winter style look with one more style inspiration that will be part of my capsule wardrobe this year. You can learn more about my style aspirations when you visit my micro-blog on Instagram, @2ndtimestyle

I wore this look a few weeks back and thought it to be the perfect way to conclude my winter style posts. We've had a mild winter in Virginia, and on this particular day, I was on my way to a small part-time sitter duty role. It's something I picked up to bring in some income and to help a friend during an active season in her family life—sometimes you just don't have enough hands to get it all done. Thankfully, I was able to give the time. On occasion, I've referred to myself as Nherie Poppins, a playful spin on the beloved Disney character Mary Poppins, and this look gives a modern twist to this comical comparison.



While most of the look is pretty simple—jeans, a long-sleeve top, sweater vest, suede boots, and a knit beanie—I wanted to highlight my two favorite parts of this outfit: the tote and the lightweight trench-style jacket.


This tote I received as a second-hand gift from a friend clearing out her closet. It's a branded tote made by Cookie Lee, constructed with firm vinyl material. Weather-resistant and spacious, it makes the perfect laptop tote with plenty of room for other essentials.


When it comes to longevity, this trench-style jacket has been in my wardrobe for at least 16 years. It was something I picked up to ring in the new year when I was rushing to find a jacket in Walmart (George Brand) with the right length and classic style to wear on a cool January evening over a dress. Now, it's my go-to piece to quickly elevate any simple, dressy, or casual look.


Here are a few tips when creating a capsule wardrobe:

1. Define your style in the most simplistic way possible while leaving room for style growth. Start with colors, patterns, or silhouettes that resonate with you, but leave room for experimentation and evolution. Allow your style to grow organically as you explore new trends, textures, and expressions of your personality.

2. When possible, prioritize investing in high-quality fabrics known for their durability. Remember, quality doesn't always equate to the highest price tag. If you're hesitant about certain fabrics due to environmental concerns, consider thrifting as a sustainable middle ground. It allows you to acquire items with less environmental impact while still enjoying quality pieces for your wardrobe.

3. Choose pieces that can be easily mixed and matched to create different outfits. Select wardrobe staples that can be easily mixed and matched. For instance, a white button-down shirt, black trousers, and a denim jacket offer endless outfit possibilities. Pair them together or mix with other items for versatile looks.

4. Tailor your capsule wardrobe to fit your daily activities and lifestyle needs. If you're always on the go, pick clothes that work for both work and play. For a more laid-back vibe, go for comfy pieces that suit your everyday routine, whether it's hanging out or hitting the town.

5. Regularly review and edit your capsule wardrobe to ensure it remains cohesive and functional. I'm streamlining my wardrobe this year, focusing on pieces that really fit my style and life. By regularly going through and tweaking my capsule collection, I can keep it practical and easy to put together every day.

To explore more outfits of the day or week and sustainable style notes, feel free to visit my Instagram and Tumblr pages using the @2ndtimestyle handle, where I'll be posting more frequently.


Comments

Want more info, have questions or want to work with me? Just drop me a line below!

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts