Reevaluating Pouring Out in Creative Recovery


Reevaluating Pouring Out in Creative Recovery

Prior to the start of this new blog journey, much of my time has revolved around creative recovery and utilizing practices from here to help me through it. However, I've realized that in the process, I tend to pour out everything I've been cultivating within myself too quickly. The nurturing aspect of my creativity drives me to give and pour out constantly. But when you're in a creative recovery phase and seeking stability in your intuitive connection to creativity, there needs to be a sense of balance. It requires a bit more selfishness, which can be challenging for nurturing creative individuals who naturally want to pour out their creative energy.

Why I Dissolved My Monthly Creative Group

One concrete example of this is my idea for an online Creative Group. Initially, I envisioned it as a monthly gathering where we could exchange perspectives, provide creative feedback, and offer mutual encouragement. It wasn't intended to be a formal tutorial or workshop. However, at some point, I expanded the scope and transformed it into a year-long program with elements of tutorials and workshops. To make a long story short, I soon realized that continuously pouring out in that direction wasn't what I needed at the moment. I wasn't ready for that ongoing commitment. I made the decision to dissolve the idea. I acknowledged that it might work for others on their creative journey, but it didn't resonate with me in this particular season.

Interestingly, it wasn't until I recently read a section in the book "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron that the subconscious chatter surrounding this issue came to my conscious awareness. It prompted me to reflect and connect the dots. I began to comprehend why it didn't align well with me and what that uneasy feeling was all about. Despite promoting it for a year, the level of participation wasn't as expected, which made me question if I was truly meant to pursue it. While other factors like ineffective marketing could be at play, I felt that the timing wasn't right for me to invest that kind of energy and pour myself out in that particular way. Recognizing this, I made the decision to pause and take a step back.

Exploring Existing Resources

Taking everything into consideration, I've developed a new, simplified idea. Instead of pouring out my energy into a complex project, I've decided to dedicate a small portion of time each month to curating a few additional valuable resources that serve as excellent alternatives for creative support. Many talented artists and like-minded individuals have already explored this realm and have valuable insights to offer. Sometimes, all we need to do is tap into what's already available out there. 

| Creative Classes & Workshops

Conclusion:

If you ever get to a place where pouring out doesn't feel enjoyable, it's a key sign that there needs to be a break — a letting go of something, a task, idea, or mindset that could be playing a heavy role. There will be times when bunkering down and staying the course makes sense, but that is after establishing your boundaries and foundational practices that sustain you first. 

If you'd like to receive a monthly update through my newsletter, you can lean more and sign up here

Comments

Want more info, have questions or want to work with me? Just drop me a line below!

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts